Friday, December 01, 2006

Life in Sri Lanka




Well I've now been in SL for just a little over two weeks. I'm settled in at work, have kind of figured out what my mandate will be for the next year, and have met some great people both at work and in social settings.

I realize other than the initial photos of my apartment, I haven't added any Colombo photos. So I've added one more of the outside of my home, and a couple more around the city.

A suicide bomber killed 11 people yesterday very close to where I work, but it all seemed very "normal" for my colleagues. The only suggestion made to me was to not take main streets home as there would be an increased militaty presence and traffic jams. It was all quite fascinating really and I'm not worried at all!

I am helping to coordinate a Post-Tsunami Rehabilation Conference next week. It will be interesting to find out what's been happening in Thailand, the Maldives, Indonesia, and India in terms of recovery to date. Chris, my predecessor was the brains behind the event, it's unfortunate that he will be missing it, but I feel quite privileged to be stepping into his shoes, so to speak.

That's it for this update...T

2 comments:

Marc Giroux said...

Hi Terry! Great to know that you are safe and sound.

Those pictures are spectacular. Just in case you were wondering, the temps here in Edmonton crawled above 0C for the first time in two weeks. We are catching up!

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry! Good to read that you are healthy and hale and practicing a little que sera sera! The pictures are gorgeous. It was a balmy +6 here in Edmonton - nice relief from the stretch of -20 from the previous week!

Stay well! Take good care, and I'll be checking in to see about your latest adventures!

Marc