Saturday, December 30, 2006

Paradise Regained





It's New Year's Eve and I just got back into Colombo after spending a week down the coast visiting district CHA offices. December 26th was the second year anniversary of the tsunami; it was a strange feeling to be standing on the spot (at the time the wave hit- 9:25am) where 1500 people lost their lives. One of the responsibilities in my work here is to help coordinate livelihood programs for people who were affected by the tsunami. Two years after the fact many people still live in temporary shelters (ie tents). There are some great initiatives happening though, and many people have rebuilt their lives and have adopted more sustainable practices for their communities.

I did take time out of my schedule to enjoy the beauty of the south. I took a boat trip on a lake in Tissamaharamaya, traveled to a seated buddha near Matara, and stayed and swam at two beach areas (Hikkaduwa and Beruwela). My colleagues went back to Colombo after our last visit and I stayed in Beruwela for two more days to enjoy. AMAZING, and only one and a quarter hours to my home by bus!!! T

No comments: