Saturday, November 10, 2007

Back in The Hill Country

It was yet another holiday in Sri Lanka (Diwali this time), so I took the opportunity, along with two friends, to travel through the hill country by train. It was an 11 hour journey which began in Colombo and ended in a small town called Ella (which sits at the edge of the southern range of the mountains). As a train fanatic, I enjoyed every minute of the trip...it also brought back memories of when Geoff and I did the same trip 9 years earlier! T
View over Ella (toward the south coast)
Tony getting on board
Tony waiting for our ride back to Colombo
Henrik (from our room's balcony)
Winding through the hill country at 2000 metres
A stop in a hill town

4 comments:

Superchilled said...

Love the pictures.
Sounds like a nice escape!
How was the train trip? Slow? Fast? Entertaining?

GeoffnTerry said...

It is my favourite place in Sri Lanka. The train is slow but I love it. It winds through jungle, pine forests, tea plantations, and small villages along the way...a first class ticket for the 11 hour journey costs $5.50. Terry

Superchilled said...

It sounds fantastic. I love those kind of journeys. (but for 11 hours I'd need to be able to get comfortable! ie knee room essential for this tall bloke. )

GeoffnTerry said...

That was the beauty of the trip. There's lots of space in the 1st class observation car, but I spent more time wandering to the guard's car which had the doors wide-open. I sat on the steps and had an unobstructed view of the hill country. Magic! The journey felt like it took about 2 hours. Geoff will vouch for me. Terry